All you need to know about Blackjack’s double down strategy
Blackjack is an enjoyable card game you’ll love because of its simplicity and thrilling gameplay. What makes it more fun to play is its objective – for you to get a total hand value of 21. It will be a bust and an automatic loss if you go over it.
The game starts with the dealer giving you two cards. Once you see how they are valued, you may want to stick with them or ask for another card. The only catch that comes with doing so is hoping that it will be better than the dealers’ cards.
Playing the game is fun, and some strategies will help you win more. Aside from splitting tens and sticking with hands valued at 12 or 13, there are other strategies you can try on your favourite Bitcasino blackjack games.
What is the blackjack double-down strategy?
The doubling strategy in blackjack lets you place a second bet equal to your ante in exchange for getting one more card. After receiving three cards, you must wait to see what the dealer has.
Once the first two cards are dealt, you can no longer use them. Aside from that, you are not allowed to place this wager when you automatically hit blackjack, hit, or place an insurance bet. You can also use this strategy when you have a split hand.
Given that this works as a chance to double your initial wager, you must stand after receiving one more card. You should also keep in mind that this can only be used once per round. With that, you can consider this another great option to have great prizes from blackjack instead of just using a Bitcasino bonus for your favourite games.
How to do it
When planning this strategy, you must learn how to do it properly and at least make the dealer aware that you’ll be going for a double down. To do this, you must place a stack of chips next to your original wager. The only condition that comes with doing this is that the new stack must match the amount of your initial wager.
Pushing the chips frequently tends to be unnoticed by the dealer. In such a scenario, your best option would be to tell them about your decision to do a double down.
If you’re wondering, the doubling technique is also popular in online blackjack games. After the first two cards are dealt, you can deposit an extra wager once a pop-up button appears. Still, this may differ from one blackjack game to another.
When to do it
Trying the doubling technique in blackjack requires proper timing so you can pull it off smoothly. In case you haven’t tried it yet, here are some situations where you can do it:
- When the value of your first two cards is 11, this gives you a 53.8% probability of getting a string hand worth at least 18. The likelihood that it will end with a total of 21 is approximately 30.40%.
- Suppose your starting hand is valued at nine. This technique works even better if the dealer’s face-up card falls between three and six. In such cases, there is a great possibility that they may bust.
- Suppose the value of your opening hand is 10. The only time you shouldn’t think of doing so is if the dealer’s face-up card is an Ace or a 10. This is because there is a likelihood that the player will hit a blackjack.
- You might also want a double down if you have a soft hand with an Ace and a card lower than eight. Playing blackjack gives you a great chance to win since it improves your chances of getting a hit or a value close to 21. Still, it’s best to do it when the dealer shows a lower card.
When to not use it
Aside from learning when is the best time to use the strategy, it’s also important to know when not to. Here are some cases where you should avoid going for a double down:
- Avoid using this technique when the dealer’s face-up card is an Ace or a 10. This is because the dealer has a good chance of getting a blackjack when this happens. Even if he peeks and realises he does not have a blackjack, he will likely end up very close to 21.
- You should never double down if your hand’s value is not between nine and eleven. The chances of going bust always outweigh the possibility of a nice hand between 18 and 21 when the value is higher than 11.
Advantages and disadvantages of using the technique
There are several advantages and disadvantages to using this technique for your games. If you’re still considering whether you should do it or not, here are a few pros and cons that come with it:
- Works as an additional bet that will improve your winning chances
- In cases where the hand is tied, you’re the only one to get your wager back
- It can be used on great-value hands.
- Gives the house a better advantage over you
- Requires you to take the risk of placing more money
- It can only be used once per round.
Rules you need to know
If you’re attempting to double down on your next blackjack game, you should understand every aspect of how to do it more effectively. With that, here are some rules you might want to follow before using the doubling strategy:
- Discard after doubling down. This rule simply means that a player may occasionally fold their hand after doubling down. You can use this to partially recover your initial wager.
- After receiving your first two cards and the game situation appears favourable, you could decide to make a second wager next to the previous one. The main objective is for you to receive another card with this bet. When doubling in blackjack, the amount is always the same as the first bet.
Commonly asked questions
Got some more questions about this impressive blackjack playing technique? Here are some of Bitcasino’s answers to some of the most commonly asked questions:
- Can you double down once you get 21?
No, you can’t double down once you already have cards with a total value of 21. Once you reach the needed value, you are automatically given your payout. It would already be unfair if it was possible to double down after that.
- How many cards can you get from it?
Just one. This prevents you from falling into one of the common mistakes in blackjack, which is to keep on getting more cards.
- Can you double down after splitting?
Often, it’s not possible, but some sites allow you to do so. With that, make sure to check it with your chosen site.
- Can you double down after hitting?
No. This is because doing so will give you too much advantage over the casino.
- Is it a good idea to double down on 11?
Always. This gives you a nice chance to make more money, whether you’re playing casually or competitively. This is unlike having a 10, where you should be cautious about what the dealer is showing.
Other blackjack strategies you can use
Aside from double down, you can use other promising betting strategies on your next Bitcasino blackjack games. Here are some of them:
- Counting cards strategy → The idea behind counting cards is to place large bets when the shoe is predominately made up of aces and high cards and smaller bets when the shoe is mostly made up of lower cards.
- Martingale strategy → This is a negative-progression betting technique that assumes you’ll always win. Here, you have to double your wager after each loss. You can only return to your original wager once you win.
- Winning streak betting strategy → This positive-progression technique is the opposite of the Martingale as it requires you to double your wager after each win.
These are just some facts that you need to know about the double-down technique in blackjack. By understanding it and seeing its potential to help you win better, you may find it more interesting to see if it matches your playing style. But with trying to use this strategy, remember to set a betting limit to avoid losing so much your wagers.